I write books.
My debut SPEAK EASY, SPEAK LOVE will be out from Greenwillow/HarperCollins Fall 2017. I’m also a senior editor at an indie publishing house called Jolly Fish Press. This blog is about my day-to-day journey as a writer, my thoughts about writing and the industry in general, and my oft-frequent stumblings through life.
Things You Might Want To Know
– I have a B.A. in English with an emphasis on Creative Writing from Brigham Young University, and an A.A. in Art, emphasis on Illustration from Snow College.
– I’m sentimental, daydreamy, awkward, and romantic.
– I could never be a vegetarian.
– I spent 18 months of my life living in Hungary serving the Hungarian people. It changed my life and part of my heart is always there.
– I believe in magic. And ghosts. And the power of good books.
– I hate having my photo taken.
– My favorite holidays are Halloween and Leap Day.
– I adore my siblings.
– I’m very terrible at yoga. I really like doing yoga anyway.
– I love: blank paper, postcards, popcorn, big dogs, proper grammar in texts, and adventure.
– I don’t love: mornings, intolerance, overwhelming social situations, sugar-free, the void that sucks up my pens/chapstick/water bottles, and doing my hair.
How did you get your agent?
How do you deal with writer’s block?
What is your best advice to young writers?
About My Books:
Are you currently working on anything?
Yes. Always. I’m doing final draft work on DARK BACKWARD, a YA novel; I’ve just finished the first draft of an adult dieslpunk story; I’m starting work on another YA based on my obsession with orca whales.
How is Jolly Fish Press different from the Big Five? Why would I want to publish with a small press?– Jolly Fish Press works the way a traditional publisher does, but on a smaller scale. For more on the pros and cons of going with a small press, see this post.
From our website: “We are Jolly Fish Press, a publishing house based in Provo, Utah, that publishes trade fiction and select nonfiction books in the national and international market. We excel with exceptional cover design, worldwide online and brick-and-mortar distribution, expansive publicity and marketing campaigns, subsidiary rights representation, and most of all, our drive and ability to find exceptional yet undiscovered authors, jumpstarting their careers with maximum exposure, sales, mentoring, and higher than industry average royalty rates.”
Can I send you my manuscript?
I can read it as an editor, yes. As an author, no. If you want to submit to me through Jolly Fish, read more here.
Do you do freelance editing?